Event: Additional Government of Senegal Measures to Respond to COVID-19
Media reports indicate the government of Senegal may mobilize the National Police to ensure public order and respond to COVID-19 in the coming days. Transportation and public services including schools and government offices may be closed as a result. Private companies – including hotels, apartment buildings, or supermarkets – have closed, restricted access, or mandated temperature checks, limiting access to goods and services. Schools and universities are closed until further notice, sporting events, festivals, large gatherings have been banned. Mosques in the Dakar region are closed until further notice. All international air travel has been suspended. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Given the closure of airports and reduction of flight options worldwide, U.S. citizens should be prepared to remain outside the United States for an extended period.
The U.S. Department of State has established a Repatriation Task Force to assist U.S. citizens wishing to return to their usual residence in the United States. That number is 888-407-4747 in the U.S., or from overseas at 202-501-4444.
Effective March 22, U.S. Embassy Dakar has suspended all routine consular services, including routine American Citizen Services. Monitor our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Senegal.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Senegal.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- Monitor the official Senegalese Ministry of Health website and World Health Organization site for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Dakar, Senegal
Route Des Almadies
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Senegal Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter