Location: Senegal and Guinea-Bissau, countrywide
Event: Holidays in Senegal and Guinea-Bissau provide increased risk for criminal activity. During this time, crimes of opportunity such as pickpocketing, purse snatching, thefts from vehicles, snatch and grab, etc., are more common. Travelers are perceived to have gifts or large amounts of cash. Below are a few steps to help increase your personal security:
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season and at holiday events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy Dakar, Senegal
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Senegal Country Information
- Guinea-Bissau Country Information
- Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter (Senegal)
- Follow us on Facebook (Guinea-Bissau)