The U.S. Embassy in Dakar advises U.S. citizens that “Les 2 Rakkas,” a large public religious event in Saint Louis, is scheduled to take place on Saturday, September 5. The event will take place at the Governor’s office on the island of Saint Louis.
As with all large gatherings, there is a potential for increase in crime. The Embassy advises prudence and enhanced security awareness for all large, crowded public events where the risk of pickpocketing is higher. Remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local news stations for updates, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
This event is also likely to result in travel disruptions from Friday, September 4 through Sunday, September 6, due to large crowds of participants, and travel throughout the city may be difficult as the Pont de Faidherbe and other streets will be closed for vehicle traffic.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Senegal.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Dakar, located at Route des Almadies, and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and on Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- You may also call ++221 33 879 4444 during after-hours, or if you wish to participate in the optional SMS/text messaging program to receive security notices via text message, please send an email to DakarACS@state.gov for additional information.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.