The U.S. Department of State updated the Travel Advisory for Senegal due to COVID-19 on August 6, 2020. See the updated Travel Advisory and the U.S. Embassy Dakar COVID-19 page for additional details.
Senegal – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Senegal due to COVID-19. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a level 3 Travel Health Notice for Senegal due to COVID-19.
Senegal has lifted stay at home orders, and resumed some transportation options and business operations. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 in Senegal.
Exercise Increased Caution In:
The Casamance region due to crime and landmines.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Senegal:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Do not stray from main roads and well-traveled areas in the Casamance region.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Senegal.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
Casamance Region–Exercise Increased Caution
Armed individuals have set up roadblocks and attacked travelers on roads south of The Gambia in the Casamance region of Senegal.
Land mines from prior conflicts remain in the Casamance Region.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in this area. U.S. government employees are prohibited from travelling on National Route 4 south of Ziguinchor, on Route 20 between Ziguinchor and Cap Skirring, and on unpaved roads without armed escorts. U.S. government employees are also prohibited from travelling after dark.
Last Update: Reissued with updates to COVID-19 information.