Minors aged 16-17 with a photo ID can apply for a U.S. passport without a parent/guardian present. However, the minor applicant must present evidence that at least one parent or guardian has knowledge that he or she is applying for a passport. This evidence might include, but is not limited to, a signed notarized statement from the parent or guardian along with a copy of the parent or guardian’s ID.
- Completed, but not signed, DS-11 (PDF 102 KB). Do Not Sign until instructed to by a consular officer. If the applicant has a social security number, it MUST be included in the application in order for the application to be considered complete.
- Two full face 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) identical color photographs taken within the last six months with a white or light background (Photo shops in Dakar).
- Proof of citizenship, such as a previous U.S. passport or original birth certificate (and a photocopy of each document presented).
- Proof of identity, such as a photo ID (and a photocopy).
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to the parent/guardian demonstrating parental awareness, such as an original birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad (and a photocopy). Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship.
- Cash fee of $145 or equivalent in CFA. Credit card payment will not be accepted.