Passports for Children Under Age 16

For children under age 16, both parents and the child must personally appear at the U.S. Embassy. If the parents cannot attend the interview, please see additional requirements below.

Required items:

  • Completed, but not signed, Form DS-11(PDF 104 KB).  You may also use the form-filler on our website to print off the application. — Do Not Sign until instructed to by a consular officer. If the applicant has a social security number, it MUST be included in the application in order for the application to be considered complete.
  • Two full-face 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) identical color photographs taken within the last six months with a white or light background. Photo shops in Dakar
  • Evidence of the child’s relationship to the parents/guardians, such as an original and photocopy of a birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad plus a photocopy. Previous U.S. passports are not acceptable as proof of relationship to the applying parent(s)/guardian(s).
  • Proof of identity for both parents and a photocopy.
  • Proof of child’s citizenship, such as a previous U.S. passport or original birth certificate and photocopy.
  • Proof of child’s identity, such as a photo ID and a photocopy.
  • Age progression photographs– Passport renewals for children whose most recent passport was issued under the age of 5 should present one to two photographs per year of the child from the age in the previous passport to the present age.
  • Cash fee of $115 or equivalent in CFA.

Note: All documents submitted must be original or a certified copy, along with one photo copy.

If a parent cannot personally appear and sign the Form DS-11 (PDF 104 KB), then the other parent must submit:

  • A completed, original Form DS-3053(Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16) or an original notarized statement of consent authorizing passport issuance for the child that matches the DS-3053 in content.


  • The absent parent’s identification information. A copy of his/her ID may be used for this purpose.

A parent who has sole authority to apply for a passport must present proof, such as a birth certificate listing only the applying parent; a court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order); a court order specifically permitting applying parent’s or guardian’s travel with the child; or a death certificate of non-applying parent.  Please submit the original order and a photocopy.

If neither parent is physically present, the adult accompanying the child must present:

  • Original notarized consent statements from both parents with photocopies of parents’ photo IDs or a completed, original DS-3053.

Note: Incomplete applications may be asked to return at a later date.