Your photo is a vital part of your passport application. To learn more, review the information below on how to provide a suitable photo to avoid passport processing delays. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. passport agency. We recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements.
Note: Photos must be 2″x 2″ in size with a background that is uniform, plain and white, and free of shadows.
If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide one (1) photo. Your passport photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- Do not digitally change the photo
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera with a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis:
- You cannot wear a uniform, clothing that looks like a uniform, or camouflage attire.
- Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline. If you wear a hat or head covering for religious purposes, submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering in your photo is part of traditional religious attire worn continuously in public. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face. If you wear a hat or head covering for medical purposes, submit a signed doctor’s statement verifying the hat or head covering in your photo is used daily for medical purposes.
- Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
- You cannot wear glasses. If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application.
Review the Photo Examples to see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. Photos copied or digitally scanned from driver’s licenses or other official documents are not acceptable. In addition, snapshots, magazine photos, low quality vending machine or mobile phone photos, and full-length photographs are not acceptable.